In advanced ovarian cancer, genetic testing rates hover around 50%.1
Only 49% of patients received maintenance therapy in second line or greater therapy.2
Current rates warrant improved methods and practices to enable professionals to both identify and offer
PARP-Inhibitors to appropriate patients at the right time. Please utilize instructions below to help with your patients!
Step 1: Run a report for ovarian cancer patients:
Select Electronic Medical Record (EMR) System for instructions
*This instructional guide represents a brief summary derived from NCODA practice member resources and does not substitute for the advice of your EMR provider and does not constitute or imply endorsement, recommendation, or favoring of operational considerations by NCODA. NCODA assumes no liability and does not ensure the accuracy of the information presented from the materials provided. Please consult with your EMR vendor related to this assessment initiative when implementing this assessment.
Step 2: Utilize NCODA PQI
- Determine patient’s BRCA mutation status (consider genetic testing if not already completed)
- Track all current or upcoming first-line platinum therapy patients with estimated completion date of their chemotherapy
- Create a calendar calendar reminder and maintain to mark the end of systemic therapy
- Work closely and proactively with provider to determine each unique patient’s anticipated treatment plan
- As completion date approaches, assess treatment plan regarding maintenance therapy
- Consider re-discussing options with provider
- Consider monthly follow-up in the EMR during surveillance
- When appropriate, ensure prescription for a PARP inhibitor is submitted
- Consider PARP-Inhibitor utilization
|(Niraparib or Rucaparib)||For patients in relapsed platinum sensitive ovarian cancer maintenance therapy following partial or complete response to platinum based chemotherapy|
|(Olaparib)||For first line or relapsed platinum sensitive maintenance therapy in BRCA associated advanced ovarian cancer|
- Visit online resources for more information and context in maintenance therapy in Ovarian Cancer
1. Randall LM, Aydin E, Louie-Gao M, Hazard S, Westin SN. A retrospective analysis of real-world tumor BRCA (tBRCA) testing trends in ovarian cancer before and after PARP inhibitor approvals. Presented at the 17th Biennial Meeting of the International Gynecologic Cancer Society; Kyoto, Japan: 2018.
2. Garofalo D, Verma-Kurvari S, Aydin E, et al. Real world data analysis of ovarian cancer maintenance utilization among maintenance eligible patients. Presented at the American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Congress; Chicago, IL: 2019.