FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 14, 2022
STATEMENT FROM NCODA LEGISLATIVE & POLICY ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Contact: Kevin Scorsone | NCODA Legislative & Policy Liaison
Phone: (919) 903-2057
Florida Takes Action Against Prescription Drug Pricing
NCODA is proud to share that on July 8, 2022, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis issued Executive Order 22-164 to ameliorate data reporting transparency and target high prescription drug prices. More specifically, this order:
- Stops pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs) from engaging in spread pricing and financial claw-backs for all future contracts that include PBM services in the scope of work.
- Upholds data reporting requirements including (but not limited to) information on rebates and payments from drug manufacturers, insurers, and pharmacies.
- Authorizes the Secretary of the Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA) to conduct an audit on all PBMs that perform/performed services for a Medicaid Managed Care Plan during the last 5 fiscal years. Similarly, the order also authorizes the Secretary of the Department of Management Services to conduct this audit as it pertains to the State Group Insurance claims.
- These audits must include (but not limited to) a review of potential inflation of dispensing fees and rebates/payments from drug manufacturers, insurers, and pharmacies as it pertains to Medicaid Managed Care Plans or State Group Insurance claims.
- Authorizes the AHCA to negotiate prices for drugs that are not eligible for importation, (e.g., insulin and epinephrine) which bolsters the need for the Canadian Prescription Drug Importation Program in order to pave a path to lower prescription drug costs for all Florida patients.
NCODA believes this order will increase access to care for Floridians and will provide added oversight as well as regulation against PBM-related actions to encourage the delivery of quality care.
NCODA is a leading non-profit organization dedicated to empowering medically-integrated oncology practices to deliver positive, patient-centered outcomes by providing leadership, expertise, quality standards, and best practices. For more information about NCODA visit www.ncoda.org or follow @NCODA on LinkedIn.